Using insurance to leave more to loved ones and charities
If your charity would like us to make a presentation to your donors or write an article for your donor newsletter, contact Marlena McCarthy. Also contact Marlena if you want us to deliver a presentation to your charity's donors, or at your workshop or conference.
Books and Online Continuing Education Accredited Courses
In January 2016, Marlena McCarthy and Jack Bergmans proudly became the first authors to have books published on the topic of integrating insurance into charitable giving. Multiplying Generosity is a book for fundraisers, and Ripple Effect is a book for financial advisors. In April, Multiplying Generosity became an online course accredited by the Canadian Association of Gift Planners International, offering 4.5 Continuing Education Credits. Ripple Effect became an online course accredited by Advocis, offering 4 Continuing Education credits.
- Foresters Financial, 2018 - Several presentations by Jack to insurance specialists and financial advisors on
incorporating philanthropy into client discussions and uses of insurance for charitable giving
- Mindpath Doing Well by Doing Good Conferences for financial advisors:
* June 21, 2017 - Jack & Marlena present "Leveraging Insurance in the Philanthropic Planning Process" (Burlington, ON)
* November 2014 - Jack presented "The Benefits of Integrating Charitable Giving with Insurance in Client Estate Planning (Toronto, ON). Click here to watch November's half-hour Toronto presentation.
* April 2013 - Jack presents on Multiplying Generosity using Insurance in Charitable Giving (Ottawa, ON)
- Canadian Association of Gift Planners events for fundraisers:
* April 2019 - National Conference. Jack on a panel discussing giving through insurance.
* January 24, 2019 - CAGP Toronto Love of Gift Planning session - Jack on a panel discussing advisors who work with charities and donors.
* March 8, 2018 - CAGP Toronto Roundtable Workshop - Jack, Marlena and SickKids fundraiser Mikhael Bornstein - "Talking to Donors About Gifts of Insurance"
- * March 29, 2017 - National Conference. Marlena, Jack and Canadian Cancer Society Gift Planner Laura Mullin present "Integrating Lift Insurance Gifts in a Successful Gift Planning Program" (Toronto, ON)
* May 26, 2016 - Waterloo Chapter Meeting. Marlena & Jack "Multiplying Generosity using Insurance in Legacy Giving" (Waterloo, ON)
* April 2013 - National Conference. Marlena, Jack and Judy Doré present "Upsizing Gifts Using Insurance" (Gatineau, QC)
- Advocis events for financial advisors:
* April 20, 2017 - Waterloo Chapter Meeting - Jack & Marlena present "Growing Your Business with Life Insurance and Philanthropy" (Waterloo, ON)
* October 12, 2017 - Peterborough Chapter - Jack & Marlena present "Growing Your Business with Life Insurance and Philanthropy"
- Charity presentations to donors:
* Nov. 10, 2016 - Lakefield College - Jack and Marlena present "Multiplying Generosity using Insurance" (Toronto, ON)
Articles and Videos
Click on the titles below to read our articles or view our videos.
Video on gaining tax relief through charitable giving - Bequest Insurance advisors talk about this topic in our 1 minute video.
For individuals who want to leave a charitable legacy, and fundraisers promoting gifts of insurance
"Multiplying generosity: The benefits of using insurance to make your legacy gift" by Jack Bergmans - The Legacy Society newsletter, Baycrest Foundation, Fall/Winter 2016 issue
"Demystifying the Back-to-Back Strategy" by Marlena McCarthy -Gift Planning in Canada magazine, September 2013.
"10 Awesome Benefits of Using Life Insurance in Legacy Giving" by Marlena McCarthy - Gift Planning in Canada magazine, May 2013.
"You Can Change the World" by Jack Bergmans - Your Guide to Charitable Giving and Estate Planning, a magazine distributed through the Globe and Mail newspaper, Fall 2012 issue.
"Gifts of Life Insurance: Ensuring the spirit of humanity survives" by Judy Doré - Canadian Red Cross's The Humanitarian magazine, Fall/Winter 2012 issue.
For financial advisors working with individuals who wish to integrate philanthropy into their estate planning
"Protect philanthropic clients" by John Lorinc, quoting Jack Bergmans - Advisor.ca, August 2014
To watch Jack's November 2014 30-minute Mindpath presentation to financial advisors on the benefits of using life insurance and other insurance products to multiply charitable giving, click here.