A disability – whether it's sudden or because of a degenerative condition – can rob you of your ability to earn a living. Disability insurance is a type of coverage that gives you protection if you become disabled and you are not able to pay your bills.
Disability insurance is more important than you may think, especially if you are self-employed.
Did you know that on average, 1 in 3 people will be disabled for 90 days or more at least once before they reach age 65? In some cases, a disability can last for months or even years.
If this kind of situation happens to you, you'll find great comfort in having disability insurance:
- A car accident leaves you recuperating for months – sometimes years.
- A broken arm can lay up a carpenter or labourer for up to eight weeks.
- An overworked doctor suffers a heart attack and is told to take it easy in the following months.
- A cancer diagnosis, which requires you go through chemotherapy, can sap your energy for as much as a year.
- A stroke leaves a engineer struggling with mathematics.
- A traumatic event leads to a major depressive disorder.
Contact us to learn more about the peace of mind that having disability insurance can give you.